Drought has historically caused significant losses in cattle productivity and profitability. Due to a lack of thriftiness, reduced reproduction, lowered immunity, increased disease assaults, and the availability of low-quality feed, the biological systems of Murrah buffalo are affected, which lowers productivity and harms the animals’ health. Thus, drought mitigation strategies are focused on ensuring the survival of cattle (critical body weight loss estimated up to 20%) to make the most of the resources at hand. The main objective is to protect your livestock because they are your primary source of income.
Managing Cattle Housing During a Drought
- Ensure there is enough ventilation and that there aren’t too many animals in the shed.
- To promote the consumption of dry materials, give the best buffalo in India more frequent feedings, especially in the early morning and late at night.
- To shield your cattle from the sun’s harmful rays, ensure they graze in the morning.
- Ideally, buffaloes should be bathed or allowed to wallow.
- If you believe your Murrah buffalo, which is the best buffalo in India, is having any problems, you should seek the counsel of a veterinarian. Farmers frequently have questions regarding seeing a veterinarian; in these cases, you may rely on MeraPashu 360. You will find top medical services for your cattle at your doorstep.
Feeding Management for Cattle in a Drought
Feeding strategies must be optimized in a crisis to utilize scarce resources efficiently. Given the looming threat of drought, the need to maintain green fodder must be emphasized. In the face of unpreparedness, however, adequate feed enrichment and supplementation methods become even more critical. The choice of supplements is crucial, and minerals are advised with high-energy/protein feed ingredients.
Vitamin supplementation is required since a shortage of green fodder is the primary source of vitamin deficiencies, particularly those of vitamins A and E. The 60 to 75 thousand, 15 to 20 thousand, and 400 to 500 IU of vitamins A, D3, and E required for a buffalo to produce 15 to 18 liters of milk per day are found in 10g of Brivita. From websites like MeraPashu360, which gives your cattle every vital nutrient, you may order dietary supplements for your cattle.
To supplement the affected animal, 1.00 quintal of straw can be sprinkled with 20 liters of water containing 10 kg of molasses, 1 kg of urea, 500 gm of mineral combination, 50 g of Brivita (Vitamin A, D3, and E), and 1 kg of salt. Combine 1.5 kilograms of ground grain per 10 kg straw when the urea-enriched straw is used instead of molasses. Maize stovers, soybean chaff, etc., can make up to 30% of your meal.
During a severe drought, some unique feeds administered in graduated dosages are mango, banyan, babul, sublabel, mahua, Israili babool, Kabuli kikar, vegetable leaves, fruit pulp and waste, and dried sugarcane leaves. 50% of the diet comprises tree leaves, 5% of cake, 25% of the available pods (Israeli babool, Kabuli kikar), 15% of molasses, 1% of urea, 2% of a mineral mixture, and 2% of salt. In such circumstances, buying cattle feed could be complicated; thus, think about ordering them online.
The best buffalo breed in India shouldn’t be treated for infertility till dry conditions are avoided, but cyclic animals need to be artificially inseminated (A I).
To maintain average/acceptable development, milk production, and cyclicity, animals must be bred correctly. Repeat breeders can be managed following the veterinarian’s advice.
Females may mate when the temperature is not too high during the sweltering summer (morning and evening).
Premature deliveries, placenta retention, dystocia, mastitis, and other periparturient issues can be decreased by giving animals more vitamins A, D, and E along with selenium throughout the third trimester of pregnancy, especially when they don’t have access to forage.
Health Management of Cattle
- Reduced immune competence against many diseases may be more likely in stressful situations like drought.
- Drought and climate change can raise the risks of infections, vectors, and epidemiological disease patterns arising or reemerging.
- Animals in arid regions may shift to less damaged areas in response to severe drought periods. Infections more prevalent in arid environments are especially in danger of spreading during these migrations.
- There could be fever, anemia, decreased milk supply in nursing animals, etc. Iodized oil (750 mg elemental iodine) should be injected subcutaneously.
- The slow seedling growth brought on by a water deficit, which results in HCN toxicity, causes Jowar poisoning. If medical care is delayed, an animal will display symptoms like shortness of breath, seizures, salivation, mydriasis, and death. An adult animal weighing 500 kg can be given a 200 ml solution (i/v) containing 2.5 g of sodium nitrite and 30 g of sodium thiosulphate diluted in 200 ml of water (BW). The dose could be doubled in the event of severe circumstances. As required, adult animals can be fed 30 to 60 g of sodium thiosulfate orally.
Taking care of dairy cattle is your responsibility, and keeping them in their best condition to increase productivity is essential. You can take expert advice from the experts of MeraPashu360. If you are looking for buffalo for sale, you will find them in MeraPashu360.